Saturday, January 24, 2009

JUNGLE JUSTICE

click on the link and watch the video then read my entry to get a better understanding


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5xVrxef6BY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dSu1izWj-I&feature=related

Did you watch it, what was your reaction ? you felt sorry for those people being burned. I don't blame you, it's human nature for us to feel for those that suffer. This video really does remind me of home. For those that don't know i'm nigerian, Born and raised for 27 yrs.. Well kinda, i moved out in 1997 and haven't been home since. But this video made me realize how much of a jungle my hometown was. Sure Nigeria has its fair share of good things. The food, the people, the churches, the market and whole vibe but this country is a jungle for real.

Now back to the video, The people that were burned were armed robbers. Now i don't condone violence, but take it from me because i speak from experience ( i was robbed and almost killed at gun point with my family years ago), these people had it coming. Nigeria has alot of corruption going on, ( corruption is everywhere though)I sometimes ask myself, how did i make it. I mean i'm really used to living conditions here. Armed robbers are ruthless in nigeria, so ruthless, i have heard so many stories of some of their terror. From their killings, kidnapping, rape, rituals where they cut off body parts as part of a sacrifice. so much more, they go the extra mile. If you go to any Nigerian Church, i can almost guarantee that you will hear a testimony of how someone escaped death, its that bad. Even the police are corrupt too, some of them are armed robbers too. That video showed people standing up to killers. Its wrong to kill but how do u teach evil people a lesson? If the police ain't doing shit to keep people safe you have to instill fear into these killers. This video does bring memories because it was such a norm in Nigeria for this to happen. Everytime i went to school, i would see a dead man tied up in barb wires like it was nothing, or anytime i saw tires and fire coming out from it, i already knew what was going on. There were so many times my driver would pick me up from school because of political riots , we would have to put a small tree branch on our car to signify that we were not corrupt, because if we didn't we would be attacked. I remember in elementary school where armed robbers invaded and luckly the police came in time. All these things are really just hitting me now, that is why it's important to thank God for every situation you are in, big or small. That's why you see alot of thankful nigerians because surviving an armed robber attack is like hitting a lottery ticket, You never make it. They kill everything in sight. This video was a reminder

Pictured above are members of a vigilante group called Bakassi boys. Let wikipedia do a better introduction for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakassi_Boys

They go around from different cities in Nigeria doing what the police never do. Teaching evil doers a lesson. I have heard some horrific stories of what they have done to them ( i'd rather not share). Even though people praise the bakassi boys for their efforts in cleaning the streets, they are those that criticize them, and some of them end up getting killed too. And that's the problem i have with that video because some of the people that were killing those robbers are evil too. I watched a sermon on Minister Farrakhan ( not a fan of him) but he said something very powerful, He said if anyone is a threat to the things we love like family, we automatically turn to killers; Now that's real. My uncle accidentaly hit a bystander with his car, he immediately took off because if he stuck around, he would have been killed by vigilantes, because they would think he meant to hit that person. Bakassi boys are not only a terror to the robbers but people to a certain degree. Nigeria is known for prosecuting robbers from the petty ones to killers, why do you think alot of people with missing limbs beg around the streets in lagos. It's because they were thieves, and usually by law in the northen states they cut off your hands so you wouldn't steal again. Fucking crazy

Armed robbers were ( i don't know if it still is) a big problem in Nigeria. Let me share one of my personal experiences.Back in 96 i think, me, my brothers and my mom went to a market to buy food, as we were in a car we were ambused by people with guns. I mean we were surrounded, They took all of us down and almost kidnapped my little brother. My mom was lucky enough to grab him. They left with our car but we didn't trip because we had our lives which rarely happens when robbers attack. But the interesting part is that the armed robbers were hired by one of my mom's friends. Armed robbers are not only a problem here too, alot of people even the ones you consider as family usually want you dead, They would go to witch doctors and go the extra mile in seeing that you don't succeed. I know some of yall have seen local nigerian movies. ( By the way i don't watch em, the same shit everytime). Alot of the themes that deal with jealousy, witchcraft and pure evil is true. That shit does exist, in other word do not trust anyone. There are alot of jealous folks out there and i have heard so many things. Another incident even happened but this time with my mom, i was in houston that time. Armed robbers dressed as business men invaded our house. My dad was hiding in the restroom with no penny to him. I know it sounds like i'm exaggerating but listen, they searched the whole house for him because they wanted money. They held my brothers, my mom and my sister captive. My mom was slapped and questioned on the whereabouts of my dad, even shot the wall where she was at. ( a warning shot or a kill shot, i dont' know but they fired). All this happened while my dad was in the restroom praying. They ended up leaving stealing all our jewelry and stuff, but in the end they made it alive. My brother said that was the longest 10 minutes of his life. Ask him and he will tell you. Armed robbers are that ruthless. Like i said survivng an armed robber attack is rare, i know some of my moms friends that haven't been so lucky as we are. It's really sad


The whole point of this post is to explain the video. Why those people tortured those guys who looked innocent. Nigeria is beautiful place despite all this, I know it need prayer but it's so much to do there. I haven't been home since 97, I would love to check it out some day but i promise you it's a cool place to visit, you just have to be careful around there. The system there is so different from here, where America depends on credit, Nigeria is built on cash and carry. My fam prefers it over there. It really comes down to preference, Violence is everywhere but i really posted this to share why what happened in that video happened. Its been real yall. Good day and God bless.

1 comment:

COLION said...

Good post man...allot of people don't seem to understand the way things are in Nigeria.