Monday, October 6, 2008

streetwear?

I made a stop at union in soho today and spoke to the crew about the market. First of all shout out to the union crew holding down the spot. I really appreciate the feedback ( prob the best.) i got as far as the direction and designs of dobale. The fact that they compared my brand to perks and mini really says alot about it. But we spoke about how dum down the market is now. I know you hear about this type of talk everytime but let me break it down in my perspective. First of all dobale is def. not my source of income and is not my main thing. I just have a new found passion to make a name in this media. There really isn't money in this streetwear market and honestly its alot of work. I keep saying it to folks everytime that this shit here isn't what it seems. For example there is brand i follow from LA ( which i won't name). This brand has been around for 5 yrs. They have 2 boutiques in cali and an online store etc. They only made $2 million last year in revenue. Now don't get me wrong $2 mill. is alot of money, but think about the expenses that have to be paid to maintain the brand. Warehouse costs, employee costs, travel fees, showrooms like magic(which can cost up to $15,000), production cost, property and all the bills concerning the 2 stores alone, the money you would have to re-invest into the brand etc. You will see that it isn't alot of money. When i hear that i know it isn't worth the stress at all. Now getting back to what i was saying about the conversation we held at union. I have been getting alot of feedback about how overqualified my brand is and how it isn't dummed down at all which is a good thing because i don't plan on doing that. But it bothers me when I hear these pioneers that started streetwear telling me that they now have to cater to 'cool' guys that want no substance but the most colorful dum down products. Can i blame them? no not at all. They have a business to run, paying the bills in new york is not a joke, so i don't blame them at all. But its crazy now i tend to ask, who is my customer, what is streetwear? or is this streetwear? Since when did quality and substance die.
When i first started dobale. I always wanted to go to magic trade shows in vegas, but seeing how saturated the market is. I realized to stay out of it. Not because the brands i look up to don't go there, but i realized the once artist driven culture no longer exists. Shout out to leo ( manager) at union. He told me today's customers are not about education or substance, but about what 'lil wayne has on.' or what 'kanye calls cool.' He also told me that my brand should've existed 8 yrs ago when quality was the key. Trust me this isn't the 1st type of feedback i have heard. I have heard stuff like ' too religious' or too ' deep' or ' offensive.' One of my retailers didn't buy my 'pig chasers' shirt because of the message behind it. But the bottom line is, this is what it is today like the picture above. It's all about the most colorful cool stuff and obvious 'rockstar' image. Is that what streetwear is about? I really don't speak much on it but i had to after talking to the leading pioneer of the market. How they had to dum it down to pay the bills. Sad but true, but what can i say, it's a business at the end of the day. This also brings me back to houston. Honestly the city is the 4th largest in the country and i believe it can get there, but i really don't see it. How many people do you see with painted 'dunks' and true religion jeans with a mo-hawk and kanye shades. Ok what about ed hardy. I will not say my opinions on ed hardy but what if i tell you my printer can get that same burn effect that he does for his shirts or what if i tell you i have heard of a printer in la that prints for the brand and other brands in america that charge way less, would that change your view on why you buy the brand. Obviously quality is not involved with why ed hardy is expensive. I know some friends that want to start stores and brands. These people i know have told me i've inspired them which is a good thing. The way they want to market their idea from what i understand is genius... but i ask them ' is it worth bringing that creativity to a market that is all about logo and following celebrities ?' I'm glad i may be a part of their dream and i hope the current state of the market will change but in the meantime, while i'm in school. I will make whatever the hell i feel like, make my 2 cents and go back to the lab. Thank God i already have enough to support it. I have already gotten a suggestion to start consulting for people who want to open up boutiques but honestly.. i already got enough shit on my hands. Signing of

No comments: