Monday, September 8, 2008

PURPCULTURE

Almost a year ago i wanted to start an online magazine called purpculture ( pronounced 'pop culture' ). The purp represents the houston factor and gives it a fun twist. With that project i wanted to interview tastemakers and talents of houston that are doing alot to improve the scene in everyway. Unfortunately i had other things to do, but i decided to just go ahead and start on it and see where this goes. My first interview is with Winfrey aka Free. A Dallas native just 20 yrs young and has a lot going. He is a photographer, a producer and a connoisseur of the finest things in life. He is also a member of the dobale crew and has been a great addition to the team. I had a chance to sit him down to talk about his cool factor
D:so introduce yourself

FREE: 1/4th of the Niceguys, member of the Indmix camp, head of Free Images Photography and Soul To The Future Productions but ya know....just a nobody pretty much

D: oh really u being modest here, u aint even 21 yet and u have a lot going on. You starting out early though. Where do u see yourself in the future?

FREE: Umm....I really see myself doing exactly what im doing now....just on a larger scale(forgot to mention im a member of the Dobale camp as well! lol) But umm, Im really pushing the music the clothing and the photography...those are the things im really most passionate about. I can see myself established somewhat at least by the age of 24....Godwilling of course

D: Lucky bastard. I sure wish i could trade places, I'm old and still struggling. But in all seriousness i believe with the way you are going right now, you're def. going to reach your destiny. I really suck at interviewing but this has got to be done. I feel like people need to know the future of the scene whether locally or nationwide and i am doing this to introduce not just hardworkers but tastemakers. As far as inspiration in music, can u give me a list of how u work as a producer, who inspires u and your process musically

FREE: Well im definitely inspired number one just by soul music as a whole.....its the foundation of all great music in my opinion....from hip hop to r&b to jazz to blues...even pop...all children of the soul music genre. Anywho im gonna keep my list short....as far producers go im inspired by Kanye West, Jay Dilla, Just BLaze, The Neptunes Illmind, Symbolyc One, Nicolay, THE ARE, Mark Ronson, RZA, DJ PREMIER!! Jake One, Battlecat, Dj Quik, Dr.Dre...the list goes on....some i forgot to name lol. As far my production process its not very complicated....I usually hear something that inspires me....so then I get on FL Studio....put my drums together....and depending on how im feeling i may chop a drum loop or just put my own drum pattern together, then I go for either a sample that I feel matches my drums….or I go for a nice sound to complement the drums…but no matter what I always start with the drums…thats the foundation of my beats.

D: Premo is a GOD son nobody.. you know what i really don't wanna go off track here but honestly free the first time i met u and u told me that u were a producer and u were working on the niceguys mixtape, i really didn't take your words seriously. But after i heard "only fools resist." I ate my words quick. Between you and Todd ( another member of the niceguys his interview will be up soon) who do you think is better?

FREE: HAHA! you messy bastard! lolol but umm....of course im going to give you the politically correct answer...we are both good in our own ways. I feel like as far as sampling, Todd is a monster....I feel like sampling takes talent....people cant say what they want about samplers...but it takes talent to piece records together and make your own music out of it. I feel like as far as drums...and adding all the extra things that complete a beat...I feel like im better in that area. We definitely complement eachother well....we make a kick ass team ill tell you that much....and this project we got coming up...the beats are AWESOME! yall just gotta wait...but trust me when you hear it....lol....its definitely gonna shock some people....a good shock that is...lol

D: ok enough with the shit talk, lets talk about style for a little bit. Your motto is good clothes, good music, niceguys. Talk to me about your favorite brands, and describe your style. I really do need better interview questions lol. But in all seriousness break it down

FREE: Ok...favorite brands, of course we gotta start off with good ol' Ralph Lauren.....ive been a polo head( not on the level of D or Yves Saint) but ive been big on polo since middle school. I also love Levi's, Guess, Fossil Maharishi, NIKE SB!, Stussy, mishka....i love king stampede, Supreme, adidas....a lil bit of everything....I cant speak on the higer end of the fashion spectrum even though im a big fan of it....but once I get there we can discuss the Louis, the Guccis, Comme Des Garcons and the Saint Laurents and whatnot. As far as style.....Im really into whats comfortable, I like looking good and being comfortable at the same time....im not big on matching...i try to but sometimes i like to contrast....it adds to the look sometimes....I try to not overdo it though....so yeah....thats it in a nutshell

D: You seem to be well grounded as far as music, style and everything you do as a profession. Can we talk about your photography? I honestly believe you get better everytime i work with you, what is it that you see through those lenses. I once took photography class in school and i barely passed. Getting your focus, lighting, exposure and angle is not some overnight thing. You def. need to have vision to master the arts. Can you shed some light on what it takes to get on your level. Don't play modest with me son

FREE: HAHA...My Level? lol my pics suck! haha...ok jk...on a serious note. Practice makes perfect, especially with photography...its all about going for what catches your eye....always having a certain image in mind before you hit the shutter...and knowing your camera well enough to get that exact image that youre looking for....granted it doesnt always come out exactly how you want it....but thats what all photographers shoot for(pun intended..lol). Also just knowledge....reading up, getting knowledge from other photographers, and just learning your equipment....after about 2 years of doing this....I feel like im where I should be. Now im trying to get to where I WANT to be....and that may take some time.....but once I get there....well....things will get very interesting

D: U also work for indmix.com? How's that working out. Tell me everything...including the groupie love.. we all know you getting mad play son

FREE: Yeah man, Indmix camp, been with them for about a year and a half...shoutouts to Ikem and Jamaal for puttin me on...its a great look. Im the youngest in the camp and it feels awesome to be 20 workin for indmix....where everyone is like 24 and up lol. Anywho, the indmix life is pretty much everything you think it would be....different club every night, everyone knows your name, goupies(yes, there are groupies) and ya know....having fun doing something i truly enjoy...and getting to meet new people and network and what not...its truly a beautiful thing....granted it has its ups and downs....but for a 20 year old in college.....this is pretty damn cool....im not gonna lie to you....i love what i do. its definitely made my life more interesting, its great.
D: At least you honest, i always see you on that crackberry all day lol.As far as the houston as a whole, i feel like its the 4th largest city in the US but yet there is alot missing. What is your take on that and what can you do to fix it? Is there anyone doing a good job so far in your opinion?

FREE:I love Houston, coming from Grand Prairie, TX......Houston is awesome...I never lived in the city so this is definitely new for me....but I love it. Houston has alot of opportunity...and its growing which is great. I feel like this city has potential to be an LA or a New York or a Philadelphia or whatever. I just feel like we need to just support Houston more....whether its a concert, an art event, fashion event, skate park opening, store opening, whatever....people need to start supporting whats going on...because in order for the city to grow...the people have to grow as well....or were going to be just a big city that aint about shit...lol

D: last question son
well some little little more
So who u voting for Obama or obama?

FREE: hahaha..YES WE CAN...thats all i have to say

D: ok i got one chicken and waffle fries ( unforgivable) or chinese fried rice and lastly Coogi or dobale. Choose wisely one will get u in vip and get u laid son

FREE: DOBALE DOBALE DOBALE!!! im glad to be apart of such an awesome movement.....D is one of the most talented artists ive seen....we are definitely going places....trust me people

D: Man big ups. I need more of that free music. I'm tired of hearing life in style. Go back to the lab.

FREE: hahaha...i got u, anywho i dont even know my myspace link anymore...i never use the shit..haha....but check out my blog theycallmefree.blogspot.co
m

For more info visit

www.myspace.com/niiceguys

Free's myspace link

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14529485&MyToken=ef2860cc-71f4-4ade-ba56-054323d089b4

lazy bastard, thanks for nothing

Also i woke up this morning to find my brother on the front page of gq's website which is kind of a big deal especially if Scott Schuman is the photographer. In all seriousness fam, your grind is def. going to pay off. We all know everyone is doing their thing but i really had to acknowledge his hardwork. Check it out

http://men.style.com/

Check out Scott Schuman's website

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

His blog is quite interesting. He is a famous fashion photographer that travels around the world shooting. He sometimes shoots for gq magazine. Check it out, it's a good read

No comments: